- The Federal Reserve raised its key rate by 25 basis points and signaled two more rate hikes this year.
- Treasury yields rose following the rate announcement.
- Follow Treasury yields in real time here.
US Treasury yields rose after the Federal Reserve raised its key rate and signaled two more hikes this year, a greater amount than previously expected.
The Federal Open Market Committee voted to lift the target range for the federal funds rate by 25 basis points to between 1.75% and 2%. Total rate hikes projected for 2018 is up to four from three previously.
Treasury yields, which move opposite of bond prices, jumped following the rate announcement.
Yields have been climbing this year, as markets position for a relatively more aggressive Fed amid inflation concerns. In April, the closely-watched 10-year Treasury yield rose above the key level of 3% for the first time since 2014.
Traders are paying close attention to the spread between the 2-year and 10-year yields. It narrowed to 40 bps, the tightest it's been since 2007, in the minutes following the announcement. The curve spread has gone negative ahead of the last five US recessions.
Here's a look at the scoreboard as of 2:40 p.m. ET:
- 2-year +5.1 bps @ 2.590%
- 3-year +4.9 bps @ 2.721%
- 5-year +4.8 bps @ 2.857%
- 7-year +4.5 bps @ 2.957%
- 10-year +3.5 bps @ 2.996%
- 30-year +2.0 bps @ 3.114%
- BERNANKE: Trump's tax cuts are like 'Wile E. Coyote' and the economy's boost will fall off the cliff in 2020
- A 'new wave of defaults' by Chinese companies has come crashing down and could send ripples through its stock market
- Stocks go nowhere ahead of expected trade spats at G7 summit
Why Is Every Asset Down In 2018 (& 3 Questions For 2019).
In his latest Strategy Monthly, Louis-Vincent Gave writes... Investors will be happy to bid farewell to 2018, a miser...
OPEC's Deep Cuts & The Rise Of The Petroyuan.
Authored by Tom Luongo, OPEC Cuts Deep To Save Cartel With oil prices in free fall and the dawning realization that G...
Editors’ Briefing: This Week in Political Economy (December 2-9).
Documents released by British Parliament show Facebook’s attempts to stifle competition; the Consumer Financial Prote...